Saturday 12 May 2007

Things your friends always wanted to tell you...

It's been one of those weeks where, for some reason, I am starting to feel aged. My bones are creaking and (shockingly) I want to kick off my high heels and crawl into my scruffiest, nastiest paint-covered trews. Permanently. Make up? Do I have to? Straightening my hair? It's curly, it always was curly and I cannot battle any longer with nature. And as for my weight and little belly...well, the idea of 'crunches' and all the effort required to flatten it out makes me shudder. I've watched programmes on 'How to look good naked' and been quite intruiged. The basic premise of it seems absolutely spot on - we are being misled by pernicious advertising to think that the desired female state should be that of a stick. But some of the women on it actually did need to lose weight. It's right, I think, that we should be kinder and more forgiving to ourselves - especially where our bodies are concerned, but sometimes you do need a gentle prompt that actually, for your own health, you need to just lose a few pounds. Just a few. And don't stress it.

Of course one of the things that they do on these programmes is to accentuate all the good features that someone possesses and effectively disregard the bits that aren't quite so hot. And I like that. I like the idea of someone picking out great aspects of someone and making them prominent - it's what I like about the teaching bit of my job. But what I think that I've always felt is that people hide things from you that it would be helpful for you to know. Now, some of that can be the positive stuff that you just don't consider (for whatever reason). Other bits of it could actually be quite important and relate to aspects of your behaviour and so on that really let you down. But...do we want to hear it? It's hard to hear someone's take on what you do, your relationships and so on and just as hard to tell it as it is. I like to think that I'm upfront, but I know that I duck for cover when really I should be truthful. And, of course, we all tend to hear the negative and eliminate the positive - unless you're a complete narcissist.

What I fear is that I'm doing loads of things wrong and that no-one wants to tell me or knows how to. The human dilemma.

2 comments:

Sleepy said...

I will always tell you!

You have no worries though. You are trim, everything is in proportion, you are a snappy dresser, you are incredibly funny, extremely intelligent, a brilliant supportive friend and you are very easy on the eye!
Your hair is fab, although I reckon you could have it just a little bit shorter.

I wish I had told you about 'The Ex' at the time, but his machinations made sure that this WOULDN'T have happened.
Ho Hum, we're mates now, so that didn't really work anyway!

Sassygril said...

Oh, you are so kind! Hair has gone ferral I know. Washed it this am and now all over the place. I give up...

And where that manipulative piece of shit was concerned, I know that one day I will get a phone call or a knock on the door bringing news. Or maybe I won't. But his overwheening ego will mean that one day he will cross the wrong person and regret it. When you think about it, he dodged a bullet when he went totally doolaly cos he could have met you in the alley with your rounders bat!!!

You and your housemates truly saved me when all around went very odd and strange. And Sleepy Mansions always evolves, but it always remains true to itself. How wonderful to have such values and such certainty embedded in a home and the people who live there. Cousin M will truly find a place to grow...